wildlife photography through the lens of an animator

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Three predators

Three different birds in one afternoon decided to demonstrate how they catch and eat their prey. All this only a couple of meters away from me and the camera. At times I thought that somehow I have become invisible.
above: Noisy Miner, Sydney

There are quite many images in the Heron series, but unfortunately he caught the fish facing away from the camera. I could have asked for a second take, I guess...
above: White-faced Heron, Sydney

By the time this Kookaburra caught her worm the sun was very low and the light was insufficient. I had to lower the shutter speed to get decent exposure and the moving parts got blurry. Still, I decided to publish the last image as it shows certain expression.
above: Laughing Kookaburra, Sydney
click on a photo to view hi-res image :: click on a label to open all related posts

8 comments:

  1. Hi Nickolay
    Fabulous shots. I assume you are using video or automatic shooting to catch those action shots.
    Great quality.
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great photos! The birds there must be used to having people around - very lucky indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Denis,
    Most of the time, especially when I expect some action to happen, I shoot using the high speed image burst function, which in the case of my camera produces 5 images in a second. What I usually do, though, is shooting in twos, threes or fours, and then re-taking the focus and doing another burst. This way it's more likely to have at least one very crisp action photo out of 15-20. I usually shoot at quite high shutter speeds and quite high ISO settings because of this, which inevitably produces a bit noisy images, but I have decided that I prefer noisy to blurry.

    In the case of the heron I spent a lot of time waiting and slowly getting closer to him. He was definitely hunting, so I set a shutter speed of 1/2000 expecting very fast action. Unfortunately he speared the little fish with a twist and that remained completely hidden behind his butt...
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mick,
    I thought the same -- those birds behaved as if I wasn't there at all. Hoping for nice weather on Saturday to go to the same park again.
    Best regards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I need to start boosting my ISO like you. I'm getting more blurry as I get older...and it's not my glasses!
    I love the last image of the "Laughing" Kookaburra. It's nice when they smile for the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  6. G'day Nickolay,
    Brilliant series, I loved every one of them.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a magic moment when you become invisible and get to see up close what nature is up to.
    Brilliant work and some more information for me to play with:)
    looking forward to some shots of Ibis!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these! Amazing to see the detail of eating. look at that fish the heron is eating! so cool.

    ReplyDelete